NEW HORIZONS COMPOSERS COMPETITION – INAUGURAL YEAR
The NSSO New Horizons Composers Competition has been established to recognize rising metropolitan New York area young composers between the ages of 18 and 30, who are looking for opportunities for public performances of their works.
ELIGIBLE AGES: 18-30
RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT: This competition is open to all young composers living in Nassau, Suffolk, and the 5 Boroughs of New York, or studying at an institution within these areas
FEES: $25 application fee payable to Friends of NSSO
AWARD: Public performance of winning composition by the NSSO where the awardee is recognized, plus a recording of the concert. 10 complimentary tickets to concert.
FORMAT: Compositions should be for the traditional orchestral complement and be between 10 and 15 minutes in length.
MEDIUM: Traditional manuscript of the entire work, and either a MIDI realization (provided on CD or USB drive)
or CD recording required.
COMPOSITIONS WILL BE EVALUATED ON THE FOLLOWING: Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, Style, Form, Instrumentation, Labeling, Notation, Musicality
THE PANEL OF JUDGES INCLUDE: Music professionals, including composers, performers, conductors, and teachers
SUBMISSION DEADLINES: All submissions must be post-marked by December 15, 2016. The winner will be announced no later than March 1, 2017. The performance will take place in May or June of 2016.
1) Each submission must include:
2) Each applicant may submit only one work for consideration.
3) Compositions must fulfill the formatting and medium requirements listed above.
4) Compositions must be wholly original works composed by the applicant.
5) Works requiring amplification, computer, tape, or CD are not eligible.
6) Composer’s name should not appear on the score. Scores should be identified by pseudonym.
7) Applicants who would like materials returned to them should include a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
8) The winner must supply printed parts and conductor's score for performance no later than March 15, 2017